The ruination of Ruby…

I started to make Ruby more beastly looking today, but I made a mistake of rushing the process in time for the formative assessment tomorrow. I created her ears ok, but then I applied wet wallpaper paste and tissue paper to the dried Ruby head and of course it soaked through the dry stuff and she ended up a bit if a mush.  :(

I dried her with a hairdryer and added more foam inside, sort of like botox, to push her nose and lips back out. I also experimented with making the wolf hat that will go on top of her head, but didn’t get too far with that.  I kind of managed to resue her but as you can see from the photo below she is rather battered looking. Still I quite like the texture of the new tissue as it looks fur-like. I was going to beastify her anyway so I guess it is not too much of a disaster.

Lesson learned… wet wallpaper paste on top of dry paper mache is a BAD idea!

IMG_2226

Antlers for Ruby

I spent a couple of hours today working on Ruby and her antlers. I had to carve out a polystyrene ball and insert in inside her head to hold them in place. It will still need some weighting though.

The images below show the various branches I tried. The one I really loved was way too large in the end for the scale of the head but I am pleased with how she looks now, which is the image on the bottom right.

Photos from Sep 2014 Photo Stream