Cat among the shadows…

I went out early this morning to collect branches before first light. I wanted to catch the kitchen before full daylight for my tests. Well it took forever to wire up my branches to make the *shade* thingy, and by then it was full albeit murky, daylight. I tried covering the windows for a few experiments, and worked out that I needed smaller branches further from the light source.

This was the first set up of the day:

IMG_0729

Looks like nothing eh? But it is about 6 foot tall and those branches would not stay up… lots of cursing, it’s really a two man job. Still one woman sufficed. I couldn’t get an image of the shadows in the workshop but you are not missing much. The workshop it too big and the roof too high.

IMG_0732

Of course Pookie thought it was all for him..

IMG_0736

My next experiment involved smaller twigs, polystyrene and a larger space between the bulb and the twigs. I did it in the kitchen as I was able to make it darker. I only used a few twigs just to see if it would work, after all the hours spent wiring the large branches together!

IMG_0740

Shadows!!!

IMG_0745

I was so happy to see them, this bulb rocks those twigs!

IMG_0743

Look at this gnarly bugger…

IMG_0755

I am happy now…. I didn’t sleep hardly last night for worrying about it, even though I was dog tired. Then I got up long before dawn to get the branches sorted. It is all about experiment after experiment to find out what works. Once I have it set up I can refine things and decide if I want to add a turntable or not. At the moment I am thinking we don’t need it but I will see.

I now have a boot full of the gnarliest twigs I could find ready to take in and play on Thursday. Now back to my seminar research…